Pages is the most preferred documentation application among Mac OS users. With the help of this application, you create .pages files. But when you get a .pages file from someone using Mac OS, you will wonder how to open it in Windows. That’s because Microsoft Word, Open Office or any other word processing tool on Windows will not help you to do it.
That’s where we thought of showing you how to convert .pages to .doc through this article.
What is a .pages file?
Before you go ahead and convert .pages to .doc, it is important to have a clear understanding on what is a .pages file. A .pages file can be considered as a file that is being created with the help of Pages application on Mac. The .pages file can be a simple text document or a multi-page brochure. Just like the word documents, a .pages file can contain charts, texts, graphs, tables and pictures. Pages application doesn’t provide ability for other word processing tools such as Microsoft Word to open the .pages files.
Opening and editing .pages files
If you have an internet browser and an Apple ID, you will be provided with the chance to open .pages files and edit them. Here are the steps that you will have to follow in order to get the job done.
- Open your internet browser and visit icloud.com.
- Now you can sign in with your Apple ID. In case if you don’t have an Apple ID, you will be able to create a one. You don’t need to be an Apple user to create an Apple ID. You will be able to do it for free with your Windows computer.
- After you sign in with your Apple ID, go ahead and select the Pages icon.
- Now you can select the Settings Icon and select Upload Document. Now you will be able to see a window. From this window, you can locate the .pages file that you are trying to open.
- When the document is uploaded to iCloud, you will be able to open and edit it through your Internet browser. In fact, you will be provided with a web based interface of Pages to get the job done. This is similar to editing a document on Google Drive. However, you will not be able to gain access to all the features that the Pages application would offer. Hence, you need to keep in mind that you will only be able to make few simple changes.
Apart from editing the .pages file, you will also be able to export the file into a word document. In other words, you will be able to convert .pages to .doc. In order to do this, you will need to select the Tools icon, and then select Download a Copy. Now you will be asked in what file format you need to download the file. From there, you can select Word and then proceed.
Now you are aware of how to convert .pages to .doc.
Now you know what is a .pages file and why you cannot open it with Microsoft Word. In case if you are working on Pages application, it is better if you can always save the files in .doc or .docx formats. That’s because there is a large number of Windows users when compared to the Mac users. Most of the Windows users don’t even know what is a .pages file.
To avoid such issues in the future, you can think about saving the files on Pages in .doc format. Here are the steps that you have to follow in order to get the job done.
- Open the document in Pages application.
- On the right corner of Pages, select key icon and then select Download a copy. From there, you can select the option Word.
- Now you will be taken to the file export window. You will be able to add a password to the word document if required from this window. After that, you can continue and you will be provided with the .docx Word file.
- In case if you want to make the document compatible to the users who are on older versions of MS Word, you need to go to Advanced Options during the conversion process. Then you should select .doc file format from the dropdown. Then you will be able to export it to a .doc file.
- Before you save the file, you will also be asked with the name that you need to include in the file.
These are all the steps that you should follow when you convert .pages to .doc. Any person can go ahead with these steps and end up with positive results on cloudconvert.com