Table of Contents
Why is My iPhone is Frozen?
Hanging is a problem that any computer equipment faces. At some point, one of the programs starts to behave incorrectly or conflicts with another program and as a result, the whole device is not in working condition. Such a situation is called a hang.
The iPhone is also susceptible to this problem and may hang from time to time. Usually, when the iPhone hangs, the iPhone refuses to shut down or restart, which puts the user to a standstill. Most often, old models like the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s and 6 are hanging. But, sometimes even iPhone 6s and 7 users encounter freezes.
If you are in this situation, then this material should help you, here you will learn what to do if your iPhone is frozen.
Usually, in the event of an iPhone hangup, users try to turn it off or restart using a standard procedure, namely, by long pressing the On/Off button.
Unfortunately, in most cases, when the iPhone hangs, this shutdown method does not work. The iPhone continues to work and execute the hung application, regardless of how long the user presses the power button.
But, the iPhone has an alternative shutdown method that works around the iOS operating system. Thanks to this, this shutdown method works even on tightly hung devices.
How to Restart the iPhone when the Screen is Frozen?
The method consists of simultaneously pressing the “Home” button and the On/Off button.
- The “Home” and “Power On” buttons must be pressed simultaneously and held until the iPhone hangs on and off;
- After turning off, you need to wait a few seconds and make a short one-time pressing the power button;
- After that, the iPhone will turn on and start working in normal mode.
It should be noted that the key combination “Home + Power On” is also responsible for obtaining a screenshot. But, to get a screenshot of these keys, you need to press literally for 1 second, if you hold the keys longer, then the protection against freezes will work and the iPhone will reboot.
Read more: How to Back up your iPhone, iPad?
How to Restart iPhone X when the Screen is Frozen and Won’t do Anything?
If you have an iPhone X or a newer model, then you need to use a new reboot method. To restart the iPhone X, you need:
- Simultaneously press the “Power On” button (on the right) and the “Volume Down” button (on the left).
Simultaneous pressing of the buttons “Home + “Power On” allows you to turn off and turn on the device in any situation. However, this procedure does not guarantee that in the process of turning on the iPhone will not hang again.
If your iPhone hangs before the device is fully loaded, then you can use the recovery mode called “Recovery Mode”. With it, you can restore the original state of the iPhone and bring it back to life. But, it is necessary to take into account that this procedure is equivalent to resetting it to the factory settings and results in deleting all user data.
In order to enter the Recovery Mode on iPhone and perform the recovery, you need to do the following:
- Turn off the iPhone and wait a couple of minutes for all programs to complete their work. If the iPhone does not turn off in the standard way, then you can resort to the “Home + Power On” combination described above;
- Next, you need to click on the “Home” button and without releasing it to connect the iPhone to the computer via Lightning cable;
- After connecting, continue to hold the “Home” button until the iTunes logo and the cable image appear on the iPhone;
- Now you need to release the “Home” button and run iTunes on your computer.
- In iTunes, you need to go to the settings of the iPhone and click on the “Restore iPhone” button.
Thus, it is possible to solve the problem with iPhone hangs during power on, but, as already mentioned, for this you will need to sacrifice all user files.