A completely new operating system – iPadOS. It was created specifically for working on tablets and allows you to use new features due to a fundamentally new approach to working with the screen.
Every year, Apple extols the status of the iPad, and this is true: they have turned from devices for consuming content into machines for creating it, into real computers, albeit not up to the desktop level. Apple’s new operating system release date set for September 24.
iPadOS New Features Highlights
All those innovations that Apple tablets were supposed to receive were collected in a separate operating system, called iPadOS:
- Firstly, at the WWDC-2019 conference, an expanded multi-window mode was shown. Now you can run several apps in a special Slide Over mode, which allows you to instantly switch between them;
- Secondly, now tablets can be used as a second screen if you have a Mac. This mode is called Sidecar;
- Thirdly, finally, you can connect external controllers to the iPad – a wired mouse (via Type-C or Lightning) or wireless (via Bluetooth). By the way, gamepads from PS4 and Xbox One can now be connected to both tablets and Apple smartphones.
Read more: How to Update iPadOS?
There are no more frankly weak iPads, even budget versions are capable of processing video or chemizing with music, which means that it’s time to take them to a separate league called iPadOS. Exactly. Since June 3, 2019, the tracks of the iPhone (iPod) and iPad have diverged. From now on, everyone works on their own OS, performing specialized tasks, for example, supporting USB-flash drives and SD-cards directly from the box.
With iPadOS, Apple has taken a major step toward turning iOS into macOS. Essentially, iPadOS is an intermediary between desktop and mobile operating systems.
iPadOS 13 Compatible List
You can install iPadOS 13 on the following iPad models:
- iPadOS 13: 11-inch iPad Pro;
- 2.9-inch iPad Pro 3 generations;
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro;
- 2.9-inch iPad Pro 2 generations;
- iPad 5 (2017);
- iPad 6 (2018);
- iPad 7 (2019);
- iPad mini 5;
- iPad Air 3;
- iPad mini 4;
- iPad Air 2;
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro;
- 2.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation.