Since the release of Siri in 2011, Apple technology users have been waiting for the voice assistant on Mac computers. In macOS Sierra, Apple has finally integrated Siri. The assistant is equipped with almost the same functionality as on iOS. But categorically does not respond to the phrase: “Hello, Siri!” on Mac.
In this article I will tell you how to activate Siri on your MacBook or iMac and briefly describe examples of using voice assistant.
The method described below will not provide the full capabilities of Apple’s voice assistant. For example, you want to find out the weather forecast or display the results of a football match, also you can quite use commands like: “Launch iTunes”, “Close Messages”, “New Tab” and so on. Any team is preceded by a key phrase that performs the same role as “Hello Siri” in iOS.
Enable “Hey, Siri!” on Mac
To get started, just follow steps below:
- Open System Preferences -> Siri;
- Activate “Enable Ask Siri”;
- On the pop-up window admit again “Enable” feture;
- Next will start a setup process, just follow what Siri asked;
- Siri want to calibrate verbal commands, make sure you have a opportunities to talk loudly (you are not at school or conference, etc.);
- When you finished just press “Done”.
The next item is the binding of the keyboard shortcut to the Dictation function built into macOS:
- Go to Settings -> Keyboard;
- Select Dictation from the Interaction subsection on top;
- Check the box next to Enable dictation;
- Click “Enable Dictation“;
- Now you can set the OS voice commands.
Examples of Useful Commands
Below are some examples of actions for which you should configure the commands:
- Insert the most commonly used piece of text or address information;
- Shortcut Ctrl + Shift + 3 to create a screenshot;
- Launching the Automator application, which is responsible for executing user scripts;
- Insert any predefined data (images or other files);
- Opening the necessary folders through the Finder.
Read more: How to Get Siri to Read Text on Screen?
Options for action can be thought out endlessly. The main thing is that thanks to dictation, you can forget about many complex keyboard shortcuts and manage them easily and simply using your voice.