If you previously installed VirtualBox on your Mac, but you do not need the program anymore, then you can remove it from your computer. VirtualBox items are stored on the macOS file system, so this program is not uninstalled like the rest.
Fortunately, the process is still quite simple and takes a little time. In addition, we will talk about a method of manually removing VirtualBox, which is a bit more complicated.
If you do not know, VirtualBox is a great program for advanced users, which serves to run third-party operating systems on top of MacOS. It could be Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux. The program is available for several platforms, so you can run macOS on top of Windows, etc.
Most Linux users can easily remove VirtualBox with a simple command:
sudo apt-get purge virtualbox
Uninstall VirtualBox From Mac
However, on a Mac, VirtualBox is usually installed through the installer. Fortunately, there is a script to delete:
- Download the latest version of the VirtualBox install archive if you don’t have one;
- Mount the VirtualBox disk image and open dmg via Finder.
- Double-click the text document “VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool” to open it in the Terminal window;
- Confirm the complete removal of VirtualBox by typing “yes”. You can cancel the action by typing “no” or closing the Terminal window;
- When all VirtualBox items are deleted, you can close the Terminal window.