By default, even on a clean macOS there is a shared folder that all users of different accounts have access to. This is perhaps the easiest and fastest way to share files and documents between other users on the network. But what about security?
In this article I will tell you how to quickly and safely disable Sharing your Mac.
Why is there a Shared Computer on my Mac?
In macOS, any user account has a personalized shared folder that can be used to share files and documents with other users. Whether shared folders are displayed on your Mac depends on the presence of the guest account and its settings, well, actually on the inclusion of the file sharing feature itself.
Read more: How to Fix BRCM-LVG in Sharing on your Mac?
Disable File Sharing
The shutdown procedure is quite simple and the same in all all versions of macOS. Here is what we need to do:
- Open System Preferences;
- Go to the Sharing section;
- Select File Sharing in the sidebar;
- In the Shared Folders select the shared folder and press the button “-”;
- Confirm the deletion of the shared folder and click OK in the dialog box;
- Repeat this procedure for all folders that you want to remove from public access.
This advice is often recommended to Mac users, who operate primarily on public networks, as an additional measure of security and privacy.