Apple mobile devices were originally created for the consumption of content, and already in the second place – to create it. iPhones and iPads are great for using them as video players. But the iOS operating system is not enough. Of course, movies and TV shows purchased through iTunes, Apple gadgets reproduce without problems. But there may be problems with other content in your home library.
Apple smartphones and tablets do not support all video formats. Initially, iPhone can play MP4, MOV, M4V and AVI clips, provided they are compressed to MJPEG, MPEG-4 or H.264 standards.
In this article I will help you to play MKV files on your iOS device.
Watch MKV on iPhone and iPad with the Help of VLC
The most popular free video player VLC is familiar to many more from the same desktop version. Its settings do not differ much: you can change the playback speed, encode subtitles, eliminate blockiness, enable password protection, adjust the brightness and saturation of the image.
Like most video players, VLC continues to play from where it was closed. There is a traditional for the program support for all necessary formats: AVI, DIVX, MKV, WMV, VOB, 3GP, AC3 and many others. VLC plays streaming video and can download it from web servers, via Wi-Fi, from Dropbox, Mega.
Put the MKV files on iPhone or iPad using VLC
How to watch MKV on iPhone or iPad:
- Download the VLC player for iOS. The application is free and available for iPhone and iPad;
- Open VLC on your mobile device and click on the application icon in the upper left corner;
- In the sidebar, click the Sharing via Wi-Fi button;
- On any computer connected to the same wireless network as the mobile gadget, write the server address in the browser (for example, http://192.168.1.10 or http://iPhone.local);
- In the browser window, click on the “+” icon and specify the MKV file that you want to view on the iOS device;
- After confirming, the movie or video will be uploaded to the iPhone and iPad library and you can start watching.
VLC has a basic set of settings: the ability to enable password protection, change the speed of sound, encode subtitles, adjust the brightness and saturation of the image. There is the traditional for VLC support for all necessary formats: AVI, DIVX, MKV, WMV, VOB, 3GP, AC3 and many others.