In this article, you will learn how to format an SD card, which serves as an external drive and is used in cameras, tablets and phones using your Mac.
Attention! When formatting a flash drive or other drive, all data on it will be deleted, save everything you need in advance.
Formatting SD Card on Mac
Formatting the drive deletes all the data stored on it, so back up the files on the SD card (for example, photos or video) and follow the instructions:
- Connect the SD card to the computer. It will automatically appear on the desktop.
- Open Applications -> Utility -> Disk Utility;
- Select the SD card, and then select the option Erase;
- Volume format -> FAT32 or exFAT(or any other option from the list if necessary);
- Enter a name for your SD card;
- Click the Erase button to format;
Read more: How to Format USB for macOS and Windows?
- After formatting is completed, the card will be unmounted and mounted already with the new name and file system parameters.
A finished flash drive in exFAT format will be recognized by both a Windows computer and any Mac. In this case, it will be possible to both read data from the drive and write to it without limitation on the file size of 4 GB.