We all know how important the backup of our mobile devices is. But what if your Mac or PC does not have enough space to store backups of your iPhone or iPad? Depending on the size of your device, multiple backups may begin to negatively affect like “iTunes Could not Restore the iPhone Because not Enough Free Space is Available on this Computer”.
How to solve this problem? Of course with an external hard drive! Next, I will tell you how to set up iTunes to automatically back up your device to an external hard drive.
Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive without iTunes
The best solution for most users, who want to back up iPhone without iTunes, is to install third-party app and use it features:
- Download and install iMazing on your Mac;
- Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iMazing;
- Click on the iMazing -> Preferences icon at the top menu;
- Open the Backup tab;
- Next, click on “Backups” pop-down window in Default backup Locations;
- Select the desired external drive or click Choose a custom location to select a specific folder on this drive;
- Click on Gear icon near your device list;
- To back up, click on the Back Up button.
Note: The folder “iMazing.Backups” will appear on the external disk, where all your copies will be stored. Do not delete it or change the contents, otherwise it may damage the copies.
Read more: How to Back up your iPhone, iPad?
Backup iPhone to Time Capsule
One of the easiest ways to back up data from iPhone is to use Apple’s Time Capsule. Often for use iCloud backup feature to Time Capsule, you need an iCloud account. It is usually created when you first set up your iPhone. Follow the next steps:
- On your Apple device, open Settings;
- You will see your name and picture at the top;
- Tap it and select iCloud;
- On the next screen scroll down a long list of Applications using iCloud and select the last entry – iCloud Backup;
- Finally tap Back Up Now.
You can use some functions of iMazing (creating copies and installing applications) in a trial version, but to restore or update the system you will have to buy a license.
It always makes sense to use an external drive, even if you have a main hard drive with enough memory to work with backups, redirecting data to an external drive has its advantages, for example, if your computer breaks down. In addition, the memory on the main hard drive will be more.