“Find my Friends” is a special widget on macOS, thanks to which you can always track directly from the Notification Center the location of your friends or family members, of course, if they have given you access. In this article we will talk about how to activate this feature and what features it has.
The “Find my Friends” feature is available on a Mac with OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan) or a more fresh version of the OS installed. And, of course, in the “Find my Friends” application on the iPhone, at least someone should give you access to your location. How to organize this process can be found in our detailed article.
How to Activate and Use the “Find my Friends” Feature in macOS?
First you need to activate the widget:
- Open the “Notification Center” on Mac, and you can do this by ticking the icon in the upper right corner of the display in the menu bar, or by swiping with two fingers on the trackpad;
- Click the “Today” tab;
- At the bottom of the “Notification Center”, click on the “Edit” button;
- Add the “Find my Friends” widget;
- Click the “Done” button;
- Provide access to the current geo-location by clicking the “Allow” button.
Read more: How to Quickly Type an Emoji on a Mac?
After activating the widget in the list there will be contacts that share access to their location, and tapping on any of them will display a small window with a map. If you double-click on the user icon on the map, the Apple Maps application will start.
What can the “Find my Friends” widget on macOS?
Here some useful features of “Find Friends” widget:
- Display the location of users on the map right in the Notification Center;
- Show contact card in the address book, if you click on the user’s avatar;
- You can navigate directly on the thumbnail of the map by holding the cursor and left-clicking the mouse;
- Scale the image on the map (approximation – double click with the left mouse button, distance – the ⌥ Option (Alt) key on the keyboard);
- Open the location of the user in the program Apple Maps, if you double-click on the icon of a person on the map.
As you can see, the widget is simple and quite interactive. It will help to share your geo-location with your friends in some situations. This will be a very useful function. On the other hand, this implies constantly enabled geo-location services that will consume device energy. If you still decide to use this function regularly, I recommend taking care of the security of your device, Apple ID and carefully use open Wi-Fi networks.