We all know how technology has been a great boon to our communication, whether it is done for personal or professional purposes. The transactions and talks happening at any time and the largest of the distances being covered in a matter of moments is something to be appreciated. Speaking of communications, emojis are one of the most popular ways to convey your emotions or simply make your conversations more interesting. Not to mention that they are available on almost all devices that involve social media or any other form of digital communication. They are an integral part of tech culture so when it comes to the Mac, they are included in the OS X and versions beyond it so that Apple users do not feel left out.
An entire character set of emojis is available for free to everyone who uses a Mac, just like their presence on the iPhone and iPad keyboards. There are several ways you can bring them up but the fastest way of opening up an emoji keyboard on the mac is by using shortcuts. The subheadings below will tell more about this.
How to Access Emoji Menu and Type it on Mac with older OS X
- First, let us take a look at the basic or straightforward method of opening on how to open the emoji keyboard on a Mac. This method works on macOS and all of its versions, like OS X Yosemite, Mavericks or Mountain Lion;
- First, open any application that allows keyboard input so that you can type in the emoji;
- Select the Edit menu and select the pull down to “Special Characters” or press Command + Option + T. The newer versions of Mac OS X will call this menu “Emoji and Symbols”;
- You can now select the emoji category by choosing a set, for instance, People, Nature or Symbols;
- After you are done with the category, Select the emoji or character you want to use and to bring into the text field, either double-click the icon in the Font Variation menu or drag and drop it to the text field.
Read more: How to Make Slideshows with Finder on Mac?
How to Type Emoji in macOS via Keyboard Shortcut
Next, we will be taking a look on how to open the emoji keyboard in macOS with a shortcut. This is one of the quickest ways to use an emoji in your messages, you can quickly open the emoji keyboard on Mac by following the steps below:
- Place the cursor in a text field or any other place where you can enter text on a Mac;
- Press the Command + Control + Spacebar key at once to bring up the Emoji quick type panel;
- You will now see a small version of the larger “Emoji and Symbols” panel that only includes emojis. You can use the arrow keys to navigate around the set and hit the Return key to place your selection in the text area on the map;
- You can also perform a simple Emoji search on the panel and you can select different skin tones for your emoji by clicking and holding the icon.