Sometimes, iOS users are faced with the need to restore their contact list from iCloud to an iPhone or iPad. In most cases, this is due to the acquisition of a new smartphone (tablet) or resetting the device to factory settings. In addition, sometimes you can accidentally turn off contact synchronization in the device’s iCloud section.
Below are a few simple steps needed to restore contacts on your iPhone or iPad from Apple cloud storage.
Table of Contents
How to Delete Contacts from iPhone or iPad Correctly
When you delete a contact from the iPhone or iPad when synchronization with iCloud is on, it is automatically removed from the cloud.
Therefore, do not delete the contacts yourself (one by one) in the Phone application or the Contacts application.
It is necessary to remove contacts from the device, but at the same time that they remain in iCloud. To do this, go to the Apple ID section (the topmost one in Settings) and at the very bottom click on the “Exit” button.
How to Restore Contacts on iPhone or iPad
There are two ways to restore contacts either partially or fully:
From ICloud ID for Web
Check for contacts in iCloud by visiting icloud.com from a computer (Apple ID data entry is required).
Read more: How to Recover Deleted Notes on iPhone?
The list of available contacts will be located in the Contacts section. If you wish, in the same place, add new contacts (“+” button in the lower left corner). All of them will appear on the iOS device after synchronization settings.
From iOS Device
- Open the “Settings” on your iPhone or iPad;
- Select the “Passwords & Accounts”;
- Go to the “iCloud” section;
- If you have already been authorized and the Contacts switch is activated, but the contacts are not displayed in the Phone application, deactivate it;
- After that, a message will appear in which the user will be asked to save contacts to the iPhone (iPad) or delete them;
- Ok, it’s off, now we need to turn it back on;
- The download of contacts from iCloud to the device begins. Keep in mind that contacts will not appear immediately. Synchronization may take several minutes.
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iCloud on iPhone or iPad
Note: In case contacts have been removed from iCloud, then Apple allows you to restore them within 30 days. In order to recover deleted contacts, use this instruction.