As with the iPhone, Apple Watch has implemented a data protection feature with a screen lock password. After the sixth attempt to enter the wrong password, the device will be blocked, and a message will appear on the screen prompting you to repeat the process in a few minutes.
There is no way to reset the password by saving the data on the device. We’ll have to completely reset the gadget. This can be done in two ways:
- Through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone paired with the clock;
- Using the side button on the smart watch.
In case you don’t remember the password, you’ll need to delete all the information from the smart watch. This can be done using the instructions published below. After deleting data from Apple Watch, the owners of the gadget can re-pair with the associated device and restore the clock from the backup. Note that the password in the backup is not saved.
Also, the function of returning to the factory settings will be useful in case of malfunctions of the device (incorrect operation of applications, false sensor alarms and similar malfunctions).
Factory Reset Apple Watch Settings with an Application on your iPhone
To do this, you need an iPhone paired with the device, on which the Apple Watch application is installed. During the entire procedure, the smartphone must be located near the device. The action algorithm is as follows:
- In the Apple Watch app, select the “My Watch” tab;
- Open the menu with settings, section “General”;
- Select “Reset”;
- Click on the option “Erase content and settings Apple Watch.” To confirm this action, you may need to enter your Apple ID password;
- After the procedure is completed, configure the device again and perform a restore from a backup, if it has been saved.
Factory Reset Apple Watch Settings with a Side Button
As a result of this method, the parameters will be reset to factory settings. This option is suitable for users without an iPhone. During the whole process, the device must be connected to the charging cable. Carried out as follows:
- Keep the side button pressed until “Device Off” is displayed;
- With an effort click on the “Shut Down” button;
- Select “Delete all Content and Settings”;
- After the process is complete, you will need to pair up with the iPhone. If you have a backup, you can restore.
The difference between this method and the option of zeroing through the application on the smartphone is that resetting it with the side button allows you to attach another smartphone to the watch, which can be useful when changing the owner of the gadget.
In this article, we looked at two basic ways to reset your Apple Watch to its factory settings. You can use both methods in the event that the device is blocked after unsuccessful input of a PIN code, forget your password, or just to troubleshoot problems with the device. It is important to remember that all data that was stored on your device will be deleted during the reset process.